Many enterprises have already seen the benefits of speed, agility and flexibility of cloud computing models and Amazon AWS through initial migration pilots or use cases. As they seek to extend usage of AWS more broadly across their organizations, CIOs and IT decision-makers face a series of new, important questions:
- What are the highest impact production workloads we should migrate to AWS?
- How can we integrate AWS into our service catalog and ITIL / ITSM processes?
- How can we use AWS to build a foundation for an IT-as-a-Service (ITaaS) operating model?
Answering these questions is critical for enterprises seeking to leverage the benefits of AWS across their organizations, and provide users the services and capabilities they need to drive innovation and growth through Migration planning.
The Eplexity Amazon AWS Accelerator rapidly provides clients a foundation for delivering ITaaS models while answering critical issues around delivery and support of AWS services.
Benefits: As a result of the Eplexity AWS Accelerator program, clients will realize the following benefits:
- Deployment of an initial production workload or application on AWS
- Prioritized roadmap for migration of additional workloads to AWS and expected ROI impact
- Self-serve catalog with standard AWS offerings to accelerate business experimentation, innovation
- New competencies and capabilities for ITaaS service management and delivery
- An operational foundation for delivering ITaaS that can be extended to additional IT services
Description & Objective: The design phase is the key starting point for all of the project components. During this phase, the Eplexity team will gather information about Client’s AWS requirements to gain an in-depth understanding of operations, networking and data management.
So what does a Project Based Work Plan look like?
Approach: Eplexity will provide a Senior Engineer and Project Manager to perform the following professional services for Client.
Subtask 1 – Eplexity will assign a Project Manager to coordinate the tasks and schedules associated with this project.
Subtask 2 – Eplexity will conduct an initial kick-off meeting with Client to review the plan of work, identify project participants and their roles, and establish initial project timelines.
Subtask 3 -Eplexity will provide requirements for accessing the Client AWS environment as needed to capture information needed to develop the design plan.
Subtask 4 -Verify the virtual infrastructure and components
Subtask 5 -Eplexity will perform a design workshops with the Client to assess networking, security and virtual hardware requirements. Including, but not limited to:
- Hybrid-cloud design patterns including tools, and methodologies.
- Selecting the appropriate AWS service based on data, compute, database, or security requirements
- Identifying appropriate use of AWS architectural best practices
- Estimating AWS costs and identifying cost control mechanisms
- Review and develop use cases relevant to the business with a deep-dive into one use-case.
- Review essential services and service-delivery models using macro and micro-services architectures.
- VPC to VPC peering vs Transient VPC architectures.
- Build foundational skills with your enterprise architecture, infrastructure, security, and DevOps teams orient you to key AWS concepts and services.
- Design IAM and key management based on existing directory structures, and/or IT security requirements.
- AWS external connectivity design for scale and according to industry best practices.
- Determine migration strategy for data to AWS.
Deliverables: Design Documentation and implementation documentation related to the AWS deployment; including:Eplexity will produce a Pre-Deployment Engineering Report (PDER) detailing the results of the AWS design. Modification project timing or cost estimates, resulting from the design, as applicable.
Approach: This is a set of design and build tasks based on the design workshops performed in the previous tasks. It will include but not be limited to building AWS instances, defining AWS security groups, writing auto scale templates, and related network infrastructure components to operationalize an AWS environment.
Subtask 1 -Establish network connectivity from up to one (1) location into an AWS Region. This can be completed by VPN, Internet via Jump host, or a customer acquired Direct Connect solution.
Subtask 2 -Prepare AWS Account Configuration and integration into existing Active Directory environment should one exist.
Subtask 3 -Migrate up to one (1) server application into AWS. Alternatively Eplexity may build a 3-tier web architecture on-top of AWS Infrastructure should a migration of an application not be feasible.
Subtask 4 -Establish backup of server application in AWS environment. This will involve determining frequency of backups, retention requirements, and policy to rotate backup sets to lower tier volumes for cost savings.
Subtask 5 -Configure auto scaling script based on CPU, or application availability health checks. Perform testing to ensure application is made available in multiple Availability Zones.
Subtask 6 -Perform on-site training of the implemented solution above. This includes one 4 hour session performed by the Eplexity Consulting Engineer.
Deliverables: As-built documentation of the implementation solution will be provided as well as test runs confirming operational functionality.
Long Term AWS Planning and Maintenance: Eplexity can maintain your AWS Workloads while taking care of them with our AWS Managed Service Program. The Eplexity AWS MSP program allows for us to monitor, upgrade and maintain your core AWS Workloads though a Eplexity Service Level Agreement – SLA. The SLA is based on your needs as an organization. We can help with WorkLoad planning, engineering and AWS Skills development to help with your journey to the Public and Private Cloud.